This focus would benefit any student who is interested in the Meetings, Expositions, Events and Conventions (MEEC) industry. The classes and internships required within this program will offer real-world opportunities for students to learn about the industry while building their resumes toward their future profession.
A focus in meetings and events will allow the student to be able to:
- Discuss current events as they relate and influence the meetings’ industry
- Identify the various players in the meetings and events industry
- Discuss how destination management organizations depend on relationships involving hosts and guests, and suppliers and consumers, as well as complex networks of residents, government officials, and CVB leaders and employees
- Demonstrate skills in contract negotiation and competency in discussing relevant legal issues
- Discuss ethical behaviors and dilemmas related to the meetings and events industry
- Gain real world experience through hands on projects, industry-related participation and networking with key industry professionals
- Employ the strategies, practices and knowledge necessary to effectively plan and implement meetings and events in a variety of traditional and nontraditional venues
A focusat the University of South Carolina requires that an undergraduate student complete 15 credit hours in a specified area, one that has been pre-approved by the faculty. In order for a student to earn a focus in Meeting and Events, the following courses must be completed:
- HRTM 364 Conference and Meeting Planning
- HRTM 386 Tourism Festival Planning and Management
- HRTM 381 Travel and Destination Management
- HRTM 495 Hospitality and Tourism Internship in a meeting or event planning position (Rotational)
For a sample four-year curriculum ladder, click here.
For more information please contact:
Sandy Strick, Ph.D.